Canadian First: ZEVs Exceeded 10 Percent of New Registrations in 2023

Published on March 13, 2024 in Electric by Guillaume Rivard

For the first time ever, more than 10 percent of all new vehicles registered in Canada during the past year were zero-emission vehicles (ZEV), including purely electric (EV) and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) models.

The exact proportion is 10.8 percent according to Statistics Canada, or 184,578 of the 1.7 million new vehicle registrations in the country. The 12 percent registered during Q3 and Q4 of 2023 obviously helped.

British Columbia once again led all provinces with 20.2 percent of new vehicle registrations last year being ZEVs. Quebec was second at 18.6 percent, with its 77,083 ZEVs registered in 2023 accounting for over 40 percent of the national total.

Photo: Dominic Boucher

La Belle Province will likely post a higher proportion in 2024 before suffering a drop in the following year as incentives for EVs and PHEVs are set to phased out starting January 1, 2025.

In Ontario, where no provincial rebates are available, ZEV uptake reached a mere 7.6 percent in 2023.  

Three quarters (75.6 percent) of all new ZEVs registered in Canada last year were full EVs and the remaining quarter (24.4 percent) were PHEVs. Compared with 2022, their numbers are up 41.5 percent and 80.5 percent, respectively.

Photo: Guillaume Rivard
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare by emailShare on redditShare on Pinterest

ℹ️ By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy. ×